FOSDEM 2024 talk recording - Flying higher: hardware offloading with BIRD

Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen asbjorn at asbjorn.st
Tue Feb 20 11:22:00 CET 2024

Hi Tim,

Thanks for posting.

On 2/20/24 09:14, Tim Small wrote:
> If anyone is looking to reproduce this setup, then ConnectX 5 NICs (both 25Gb and 100Gb) seem to be available used on
> online auction sites from around 150 Euro.

The talk was a bit crammed for time, but the next speaker didn't show up, so we unexpectedly had time for questions.

Once I get the last bit's done, I will do a more detailed blog post, about the setup we are making at my hackerspace
Labitat (AS2052350), for that we also need forwarding to directly connected hosts and reverse path filtering. One of
the last slides has a picture of this setup, with a thin client and a ConnectX-5 running at <15W while doing 10G
routing (DAC).

Currently I am trying to fix kernel performance, for the non-offloaded long-tail traffic:
https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20240215160458.1727237-1-ast@fiberby.net/

--
Best regards
Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen