FOSDEM 2024 talk recording - Flying higher: hardware offloading with BIRD

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Feb 22 15:08:24 CET 2024

On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 10:22:00AM +0000, Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> The talk was a bit crammed for time, but the next speaker didn't show up, so we unexpectedly had time for questions.
>
> Once I get the last bit's done, I will do a more detailed blog post, about
> the setup we are making at my hackerspace Labitat (AS2052350), for that we
> also need forwarding to directly connected hosts and reverse path filtering.
> One of
> the last slides has a picture of this setup, with a thin client and a ConnectX-5 running at <15W while doing 10G
> routing (DAC).

Hi

Thanks for the post, that seems like an interesting way to do
high-performance forwarding. Is is possible to use this approach when a
packet is forwarded between NICs (or at least between multiple ports on
one NIC)?

So it seems there are at least three ways how to do high-performance
forwarding with Linux and BIRD:

1) White-box routers with hardware forwarding plane

2) VPP dataplane

3) tc-based rules that are offloaded to NIC