FOSDEM 2024 talk recording - Flying higher: hardware offloading with BIRD

Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen asbjorn at asbjorn.st
Fri Feb 23 11:45:50 CET 2024

Hi Ondrej,

On 2/22/24 2:08 PM, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> Is is possible to use this approach when a
> packet is forwarded between NICs (or at least between multiple ports on
> one NIC)?

It depends on the hardware, in case of ConnectX, then no. Each port is a
isolated NIC, they just happen to be in the same chip. AFAIK they don't
have a link between them, at least the firmware doesn't support it.

In the case of Spectrum it is possible:

https://github.com/Mellanox/mlxsw/wiki/ACLs#mirroring-packets
https://github.com/Mellanox/mlxsw/wiki/Port-Mirroring

I don't have the full overview of which hardware has which capabilities,
as it requires understanding all of the individual kernel drivers.
$ git grep FLOW_DISSECTOR_KEY_

--
Best regards
Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen