Bird2 on Rocky9.3

Jakub Ružička jakub.ruzicka at nic.cz
Fri Mar 8 15:37:56 CET 2024

Hi,

latest bird2-2.14-1.e7 is available for Rocky 7 from EPEL, but no 8 or 9
builds.

Upstream BIRD packaging is tested on Rocky 8 and AlmaLinux 9 which are
both RHEL clones so it should be easy to build.

I've CC'd Fedora package maintainer in hopes he might do the builds.
Note that upstream RPM packaging is maintained in distro/pkg/rpm, feel
free to sync with Fedora dist-git as needed.

As an (temporary) alternative, you can build the package yourself
directly from BIRD sources using apkg.

apkg installation instructions are here:
https://pkg.labs.nic.cz/pages/apkg/install/

Instructions tested on rockylinux:9 docker container:

# enable EPEL and get git
dnf install -y epel-release git
# get pipx to install apkg into venv
dnf install -y pipx
# install apkg
pipx install apkg
# setup system for packaging (installs rpm-build package)
apkg system-setup
# clone BIRD sources
git clone https://gitlab.nic.cz/labs/bird.git
cd bird

# to build latest upstream version from upstream tarball:
apkg build -b --upstream

# to build from current sources (use git to select version / commit)
apkg build -b

Note that this build method uses direct build and is best for containers
and other disposable systems.

If you want to build on a persistent machine, you probably want to use
isolated build using `mock`:

dnf install -y mock
apkg build --isolated

Alternatively, you can produce .src.rpm and build it yourself however
you want:

apkg srcpkg

Cheers,
Jakub Ružička